Dermatopathology Certificate of Added Qualification
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR EXAMINATION IN DERMATOPATHOLOGY
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY:
The following are requirements that must be met to be eligible for examination in Dermatopathology by the American Osteopathic Board of Dermatology (AOBD)/American Osteopathic Board of Pathology (AOBP). Please read over this information carefully and complete the required application for examination along with submission of the required documents as specified below and on the application checklist. Candidates who successfully complete the examination process may then receive a Certificate of Added Qualification in Dermatopathology from the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)/American Osteopathic Board of Dermatology (AOBD)/American Osteopathic Board of Pathology (AOBP).
I. BASIC REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for examination and certification in dermatopathology, the applicant must meet all of the following minimum requirements. Click here to register for application process. Once registered, all required materials are listed in and should be submitted to http://aobd.instructure.com using the login and email provided to you. The applicant must:
- Be a graduate of an AOA-approved college of osteopathic medicine. A copy of the applicant’s medical school diploma must be submitted with the application.
- Be licensed to practice medicine in the state or territory where his/her practice is conducted. A copy of the applicant’s medical license and CLIA laboratory registration certificate must be submitted with the application.
- Be board certified in dermatology by the AOA/AOBD or board certified in pathology by the AOA/AOBP. A copy of the applicant’s Dermatology or Pathology Board Certification Certificate must be submitted with their application.
- Have been a member in good standing of the AOA or Canadian Osteopathic Association (COA) for a continuous period of at least two (2) years immediately prior to the date of certification. The applicant must submit proof of AOA or COA membership with their application.
- Be able to show evidence of conformity to the standards set in the Code of Ethics of the AOA.
- Submit with their application payment of the required $1,800.00 examination fee. This fee is non-refundable.
II. TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
One year AOA approved postgraduate training program in dermatopathology (copy of training certificate and letter of recommendation from program chairman required)
III. CERTIFYING BOARD EXAMINATION
Applicants who satisfactorily meet the above requirements may sit for the certifying board examination.
The certifying board examination consists of three sections:
- Written: questions with multiple choice answers covering representative topics. Dermatopathology Table of Test Specifications
- Clinical images: clinical dermatology with pathological correlation, electron microscopy, mycology, entomology, etc.
- Glass slides or digital images of glass slides: sets of representative glass slides or digital images of glass slides with multiple choice answers.Beginning in 2013, dermatopathology slides will be presented as digital scanned images instead of glass slides.Candidates will use individual laptop computers to access the scanned digital slides. Slides will be viewed with an Aperio program called ImageScope. This program allows complete manipulation of the slide as a “virtual microscope”. Slides can be moved and rotated. Slides can be viewed from scanning power up to 40X. Each candidate will have the ability to view their own slide images at their own pace. It is HIGHLY recommended that candidates download the free Aperio ImageScope prior to the test. Candidates should practice with the program to become comfortable with manipulating digital slides.The FREE program can be obtained here: http://www.aperio.com/healthcare/eslide/view
Alternatively, you can sign in as guest and browse this site for viewing slides: http://www.slidehosting.com (open with ImageScope)
Please read the Orientation to using Virtual (digital) Slides for Certification Examinations for more information.
All licenses, memberships and certificates MUST be valid as of the date of the test.